Thursday, April 26, 2012

Is This a Joke...Oh Wait, It's Just My Life

Tomorrow is Friday and my last reason to go to campus before my only final on May 21. I have to turn in a paper which is due before I come back from Poland next week. Being the good student that I am, I braved the rain and winds to walk to the library to print my paper at 8:30 p.m. on a Thursday night, wearing sweatpants and fleece.


On the way to the library I came upon something that looked just like this. Only there were two people walking towards me with umbrellas this size. Due to their overwhelming size, I assumed the people with the gigantic umbrellas would move over so I wouldn't have to step into the puddle filled street to avoid them. Seeing as there was two of them and only one of me I thought the one closer to me would move over but did she? Of course not. The Chinese girl, who I was making eye contact with, walked straight into me. I had to duck to not get my eyes poked out by her massive umbrella and quickly jump into the street, splashing my sweatpants with muddy water. Obviously, some people have no manners or umbrella etiquette. Someone needs to teach a class on this.

I continue walking towards the campus library with my now cold, soaking sweatpants. Finally, I arrive and log in to a computer on the first floor. The mouse doesn't work. I figure OK, I can put up with this, I just need to print my paper and a few other things and I'll be out of here. Once everything finally loads, I go to print the document and Microsoft Word crashes. Ugh. I go to open the document again but Word is now telling me my document won't print. The mouse is pissing me off. This computer sucks. I get up and move to another computer.

I choose an available computer three spots away from the first one. I enter my login information and wait. Wait...wait......finally another box pops up, making me reenter my information. I do this, only to have the computer tell me I don't have a valid login. Obviously, I do have a valid login since the machine three computers away allowed me to log in without any issues.

With increased annoyance, I move across the room to another wonderful PC. This computer says it is hooked up to a scanner. This leads me to the assumption that it will work since only important people scan things in college and important people need their computers to work. I log in quickly and successfully. I think to myself, okay this is good. I open Word and bring up my document only to have it crash again. I take a deep breath and think okay, if I reopen it maybe it will print now that it has its stupid kinks out of the way. I reopen Word and click print, but Word just reloads my document, over and over and over and over again.

DCU, what is wrong with your campus??!

By this point, I am fed up with the downstairs computers but really need to print this paper so I can turn it in, in the morning. I go upstairs. The log in goes very quickly. I open my email, open Word, download my document and click print. And what does this computer choose to do? It does the same thing the other computers did down stairs. Crash and then refuse to print my document! WHAT IS WRONG WITH DCU AND THEIR STUPID COMPUTERS??!

This is seriously a joke. I look around at the other people who are working on papers and think to myself, how do you put up with this university?! I think even if I didn't come from a different country, having a preconceived notion of how things work and should work, I would know that someone was screwing with me.

After wasting almost 40 minutes by this point, I go down stairs to complain to the library lady at the 'help and info desk'. I gave her a frustrated run through of my life over the last 40 minutes. After stressing that my paper is due early tomorrow morning, the library helper offered to print it for me. She asked if I'd ever had any issues with the library before.

At this point, I told her about the last time I tried to print something at the DCU library and had nothing work. (For the background story read my previous blog post: Where Did My Tuition Go) She asked me if I'd talked to the IT guys at that time. I told her no, they weren't there and coincidentally they weren't here now either. She told me I should come back and talk to them about the issues I'd been having. I wanted to tell her maybe if they ever worked during hours when students were using the library there wouldn't be any issues with their crappy 10-year-old PC computers. However, I bit my tongue and thanked her for printing my pages for me, especially since it didn't cost me the usual eight cents per page, like it normally would.

On the way back to my flat, it was raining harder and I encountered another peculiar incident. After crossing the road to turn onto my street I saw a man stumbling all over the place screaming profanities at the top of his lungs in the pouring rain. Who does this? Sometimes I feel like my life is a joke...

No comments:

Post a Comment