Monday, April 23, 2012

How Pinterest Scrambled My Wedding Plans

Why does getting married have to break the bank?

Before my sorority girl roommate told me I had to get a Pinterest account I had no desire or any intention of ever joining the Pinterest community. However, after accepting her invite, I got sucked in and am now an addict of the virtual Pinterest world. The website is a big time waster but has come in handy while getting me through some of my classes. Aside from helping me get through really long lectures, where the professor reads straight off a PowerPoint, Pinterest has made me question almost everything I previously felt about getting married. 

You're probably thinking What? How could that be? Well, let me tell you, having a deep passion for photography doesn't make the situation any better. The Website makes it possible to view thousands of pictures of everything wedding related: dresses, cakes, shoes, hair accessories and styles, nails, reception ideas, places to get married, photo shoot ideas, honeymoon get-a-ways--you name it and it's on Pinterest. 

Before making my Pinterest account, my fiancé and I had talked very much about having an extremely small wedding on a remote island in the Caribbean. Afterwards, we would come home and have a larger reception where we'd get together with all of our other friends and family to celebrate. This way we wouldn't be getting sucked into all the 'have to dos' of the wedding world and would have plenty of money left over for buying a real house after our honeymoon. This is where my inner turmoil sets in and where I blame Pinterest.

After looking at tons of pictures of wedding ideas, green receptions, DIY (do it yourself) themes, outside wedding setups and dresses I now am having a very hard time with my decision. My wedding, as of today, is still 460 days away but I have a lot on my mind and now a million more ideas than before to consider and talk about with my fiancĂ©. 

Through Pinterest, I have discovered I have a trend in my wedding taste. After looking at all the pictures I've pinned to my album Wedding: Thoughts & Inspiration, I have made some very clear judgements about my style. I love peacock related cakes, dresses and shoes. The color scheme that goes with the peacock feathers encompasses all my favorite colors (blues, blacks, greens and purples) and would make a vibrantly colored reception. I want color on my dress (I think black) and I want some sort of colored piece of jewelry in my hair. I want a low cut dress that is sleek and flows out at the bottom but with no train. I don't like veils or fake fingernails. Lastly, my accenting jewelry will have color on it, probably blue or green or maybe even both. 

Viewing all these pictures has also made me think I want people to be there to watch me get married, which means a more expensive local wedding. I am going to look fabulous after all, why not have everyone else see me at my best? Hell, I have even concerned inviting the people I don't like to have them be jealous of how beautiful my special day is. It is worrisome, however, that getting married in your own state costs at least double that getting married in Barbados. Who would have ever thought...and thank you Pinterest for making me seriously ponder these ideas. 

So, like I said before, I blame Pinterest, in the nicest way possible, for scrambling my wedding ideas and making me re-question my entire wedding planning process. I am now addicted to your photographic pin board of lovely wedding ideas and home options for after I move back to the United States in a month.

A peacock inspired hair piece. How can you
not love this?
One of the beautiful peacock related cakes
 I found on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment