Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Written Freedom.



I wrote this poem last year in February 2011 to be entered in a contest to be published on campus. It was selected and printed.  

Written Freedom.
I write to free myself from the feelings that hurt.
I write to take away the tingles and the tears.
When I write I don’t think of the lack of cuddling.
I don’t think of the lack of butterfly and Eskimo kisses.
I forget the smell of his cologne.
I don’t remember how it felt to fall asleep in the cuddle position.
Or to wake up in his arms.
When I write I’m free.
I didn’t fall asleep in another man’s arms.
I didn’t let him kiss my neck and my breasts.
I didn’t let him hold me against the wall.
Or lay me down on the floor.
When I write, things are simpler.
There isn’t the pressure to make up my mind with what I had.
Or what I might have.
I’m not thinking about what I know I threw away.
I’m not feeling sorry for myself because it was my choice.
And now I’m alone.
They were my actions.
His kisses on my lips.
When I write I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment