Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why Some Professors Should be Paid More

I'd been struggling with the idea of going abroad for a few weeks when I decided to go talk to one of my professors from freshman year. He is in charge of leading the travel study to Ireland, where I have been contemplating spending the last semester of my now senior year before graduating in May. For the longest time I have known I've wanted to travel, see the world, tell people's stories, capture their lives with my camera and show people things they never thought they'd get the opportunity to see.

With all these things in mind, when applying for graduation came around and trying to plan out my last semester of school I got more than freaked out and started arguing with myself about going anywhere but staying at my institution. Shortly into my argument with myself in front of my professor, he looked at me seriously and asked me what I wanted.

His simple question took me completely off guard and I actually had to sit there for a minute slightly dumbfounded by his simple question. I managed to tell him what I'd just told you and he looked me in the eyes and said, "I have known you for a while. You're not the kind of girl who takes shit or makes excuses to avoid what you want to do." And you know what, he was right. I was making excuses for myself and why would I want to talk myself out of something that would change my life forever and help me get the job of my dreams, and above all, what I've always wanted to do?

That weekend I went home, booked my plane ticket for Dublin, paid off the security deposit on my flat and had a huge heart to heart with my boyfriend over a bottle of wine and a bubble bath. This is one of the greatest professors I have ever had. Even from two semesters of a lecture hall of 150 other kids he could look me in the eyes and call me on my bull shit. Thank you for choosing to teach because you alone have helped change my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment