Monday, May 14, 2012

The Countdown Between Countries

As my days in Ireland grow to a close, I find myself looking back on my last four months. I've traveled many places and learned a lot about myself. Here are a few of my personal thoughts about my growth while studying in Ireland.

Before moving to Ireland, I'd only been to two countries. Ecuador and my homeland, the United States of America. However, since arriving, on various weekends and the extended breaks DCU granted me, I traveled to seven countries. This is not including the traveling I've done in Ireland and Northern Ireland. These trips included: Paris, France; Barcelona, Spain; Krakow, Poland; Berlin, Germany; Rome, Italy;  London, England and Edinburgh, Scotland. That's a pretty impressive list to have created in less than 121 days. I am extremely fortunate to have gotten to see so many famous places and landmarks during my time abroad. The cheap traveling also helped. For example, my flight to France only cost me 10 euro which is less than $15 USD. Who could turn that down?

After working as resident assistant for the past three years at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, I have become accustomed to being in an authoritative role and receiving the respect that comes with it. It has been hard for me to tell my roommates from Spain, 'No, you can not smoke in the apartment, 'READ THE RULES ON THE DOOR,' only to have them continue to do so. Their lack of cleanliness has also bothered me. They spill cooking oil all over the counters and in cabinets. They also leave rotting food in the fridge. Needless to say, when I move back to the states and in with my fiance, at least I know we share the same values, especially on cleanliness. Even so, the task of living with people so different from myself has taught me what I can handle and can not tolerate.

The act of repacking has put parts of my life into perspective. Even though I have eight days left in Ireland, I have everything packed into my two suitcases and backpack that I won't be using between now and May 22. This has left my room completely naked except for eight shirts, a pair of shorts, a pair of jeans, eight pairs of underwear, my laptop, camera, hair straightener, bathroom towel, flip flops, make-up and shampoo/conditioner.

The things I have missed most about being away from home haven't been material things. They have been my fiance, my mom, my cats and my goldfish. All of these things will be moving to the apartment with me, expect for my mom of course, but those are the only things I have actually sat here missing, therefore the only things I really need to be happy when I get home.

My kitty, Hunter. 
My five-year-old goldfish. 









My fiance and I. 

I find it hard to believe that I successfully lived in this tiny apartment on only these two suitcases and a backpack for four months. But the fact that I have, has help me split the things I think I need to live successfully and the things I actually need to live successfully into two different categories. I know myself in a different way because of my limited lifestyle (no TV, radio, cellphone, very limited clothing, etc.) It has taught me to appreciate the little things. I already know there are a lot of things I will be giving to the Salvation Army or Goodwill instead of packing when my fiancé and I move, because I don't actually 'need' them like I thought I did.

The entire reason I moved to Dublin was to finish my undergrad and get my international journalism degree. However, my only true 'purpose' here took up the least amount of my time and has taught me the least about living in a different country and my future profession. My classes didn't talk about journalism. They spent hours talking about democracy, government and super conglomerates like Disney.

The occurrences that reinstilled my desire to be an international journalist were the things I did on my own time. Some of these things were my travels, meeting new faces, interacting with people from other parts of the world and taking pictures that lead others to promise to see those places for themselves. These are just a few of the things that have inspired me to keep moving forward, doing what I love.

To me, journalism is an experience and a privilege. Confucius once said, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." For me, journalism is that perfect job. I can not wait to return to the US to look for a job that will keep me guessing and busy doing something new every day. 

I am leaving Ireland in eight days with a deeper knowledge of myself. I am a true journalist at heart and I am proud of that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment